A little about our village … our village of Bozeat is an ancient village with excavated evidence of Iron Age, Roman and Saxon settlements in the immediate area. Saxon coins and a pre-christian burial area have been found, Roman earthworks and an ancient British iron working.
Early remains found in recent times include a Saxon settlement in the vicinity of St. Mary's Road and Wyman Close, and a Roman Villa excavated between Bozeat and Easton Maudit.
The Norman Parish Church built about 1130c is indeed older than both Easton Maudit and Wollaston churches. It survived the Great Fire of Bozeat in 1729 when all older Registers of Bozeat and Strixton were burned in the Vicarage.
In the 15th century there was a thriving weaving industry within the farming community, but by the beginning of the 20th century the population had risen to 1200 and boasted a cottage lace making industry, a shoe industry and a windmill, with many independent tradesmen, making a very self reliant village. At this time also, Bozeat had at least twenty shops which enabled the purchase of all the necessities for bringing up a family, a school, five public houses and four churches.
The village shoe trade dates back to the middle of the 17th century but until the middle of the 18th century it was considered a cottage industry. These men made and mended shoes in small buildings near their home which were called 'shops', but although some remain today, they now serve a different purpose. The population grew rapidly when spacious shoe factories were built, providing much needed employment for both men and women, and these remained Bozeat's main trade until 1982 when the last shoe factory closed.
In January 1989 a bypass road was cut through fields to the west of the village to take the ever increasing traffic flow through to Milton Keynes. In the Spring of 2001 due ever more traffic passing the village and a number of accidents, a new roundabout was constructed to replace the junction on of the A509 Wollaston Road. It has made access into and out of the village a much safer option.
Bozeat continues to expand with infill housing, the latest being Bosgate Close in the centre off the High Street. We still have a couple of village shops and a Post Office offering a range of groceries, newspapers & magazines, and of course a thriving pub - “The Red Lion” serving a variety of good food and ales and providing entertainment.
Bozeat probably existed in Saxon times - Saxon coins have been found - and an early spelling of Bozeat was Bosgate suggesting Bozeat may have meant Bosa(s) gate. Bosa was a common Saxon name and a Saxon Earl Bosa held land near here. In a similar way Strixton is named after the Saxon Thane Strix. Before the Norman Conquest the Saxon Thane, Strix (of Strixton) held some of the land here under Earl Waltheof, a powerful Saxon Earl of Northumbria. At the Norman Conquest, William the Conqueror gave most of the land locally to his niece Judith who became the first Countess of Northampton.